Singer Aaron Carter reportedly had several cans of compressed air in his bedroom and bathroom when he was found dead on Saturday.
Law enforcement sources told TMZ they also found prescription pills near the former teenage heartthrob’s body. It wasn’t immediately clear what kind of pills they were.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said it could not confirm details about Carter’s death to The Daily Beast.
Compressed air, usually used in cans to dust keyboards, is sometimes abused for its psychoactive effects in a practice called “sniffing.” A similar drug called Whippets, which involves inhaling nitrous oxide, is used for its similar euphoric, dissociative effects.
Carter previously spoke about being addicted to snorting in a 2019 episode The doctors. He said his late sister Leslie Carter – who fatally overdosed in 2012 aged 25 – was the one who introduced him to the snort as a teenager.
“It’s something I’ve kept secret from the whole world until now,” he said at the time, saying he “didn’t really touch it again” until 2009 after competing Dancing with the stars.
“I started going to Staples and Office Depot and other places and buying it with cash so it wouldn’t be on receipts or anything like that so nobody could track me,” he said. “I snorted because I was fucking stupid and sad, but that’s really no excuse. I snorted because I’m addicted to drugs.”
Carter, 34, was reportedly found dead by his housekeeper at his home in Lancaster, California on Saturday morning. Dispatch audio from a 911 call made around 11 a.m. describes a “female scream.”
The singer has openly struggled with his drug addiction for years. Just last week he was pulled over in Los Angeles on suspicion of driving under the influence after weaving through traffic.
Carter released his first album, Aaron Carter1997 at the age of 9 years. His second album, 2000’s Aaron’s Party (Come Get It), was certified three times platinum and cemented his status as a teen sensation. In the years that followed, he became associated with other teen stars like Lindsay Lohan and Hilary Duff, who posted a tribute to the singer on Instagram, praising his “bubbly” charm.
Carter is the latest notable death linked to inhalant use. In June, formerly Naked and scared Contestant Melanie Rauscher was also found dead, with multiple cans of compressed air used to clean computer equipment near her body. The 35-year-old was found lying in the guest bedroom of a home where she was a dog sitter.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/aaron-carter-death-cops-reportedly-found-inhalants-and-prescription-pills-near-his-body?source=articles&via=rss Police officers reportedly found inhalants and prescription pills near his body